Monday, January 5, 2015

Q's (AKA: Quinton Lucas) | #GreatIdeas Series

A few months ago, I realized that I have a lot of friends that have turned a problem into a solution or brought an idea to life. So, I thought why not ask them about it? 

So far I've gotten some great stories and I hope to get a lot more. And hopefully I can do more with their stories than just feature them on my little blog. 

Anyway, for the first installment in the #GreatIdeas Series I'm highlighting, Quinton Lucas, KU law professor (yes, despite my Mizzou affiliation we are still friends) and politician currently running for City Council [3rd district at large] in Kansas City. Oh and of course, a kick-a** trivia teammate. 


Q is a HUGE KC supporter (and I don't just mean a Royals fan - even though I swear I saw a Facebook post at every game this playoff season), but ever since I've known him, he has supported countless causes, organizations and people who want to improve the city. And he's just my age. 

The latest thing that he's been working on getting off the ground is a prison education program in Kansas. The idea was inspired by his experience while teaching inmates at a maximum security prison in New York through Cornell where he saw the positive impact of the program on the inmates.

Cornell's prison education program's goal is to provide valuable education and structure, expand inmate's future opportunities, and prepare them for getting back in the workplace. Through the program, inmate students are offered a variety of classes taught by Cornell faculty and graduate students. 

Q noticed there wasn't anything like that in Kansas City and thought there should be. So being a well-connected and enterprising guy, he reached out to the Missouri Department of Corrections and pitched his idea, but it was rejected. Determined to not let that stop him, he took a shot at reaching out the Kansas Department of Corrections and they were interested! 

He believes this program is really a win-win as it is almost no cost to Kansas taxpayers, a low-cost alternative to other "recreational" prison programs and most importantly - gives inmates a better chance at making a life for themselves and being a positive member of society after their sentence is over. Ultimately improving the city. Quinton hopes that someday this program will become as big (or bigger) than Cornell's program - that there both graduate students and prisoners alike who want to participate in this program.  



I admire Quinton's way of seeing something that happened in one place and asked, why can't we have that here in KC? And figured out a way to make it happen. And something that could definitely impact the city long-term. 

Not only has Quinton been a good friend, but someone who will do great things for Kansas City (and trivia teams) for years to come. 




No comments:

Post a Comment