Thursday, January 15, 2015

Luke's KC Crew | #GreatIdeas Series

This is installment #4 of my 30 "Interesting Idea" Posts #30before31 challenge. The challenge is to think of or find an interesting idea that would solve a problem or fill a gap. One that I have, one that I've seen in the world or one that one of my talented friends or colleagues have put into action. 

Luke WadeI stumbled upon KC Crew about 2 years ago when a friend and I were looking for a softball league to join with friends. The only option that we could find in downtown KC was KC Crew, so we signed up. KC Crew offers a wide variety of sports over multiple season, all culminating in an "end of the season" tournament. 

A few softball seasons later, I was surprised to discover that KC Crew was the brainchild of my former co-worker and peer, Luke Wade, a developer at VML (the company I also worked for in KC). 

Luke grew up a sports enthusiast, playing almost every sport as a kid, playing football in college, rec sports for his fraternity and playing soccer when he was stationed in Iraq. So when he moved to downtown KC, he was ready to join a sports league. But after extensive research he was shocked to discover that the closest sports league was out in the suburbs. After hearing his friends and colleagues complaining about the same thing, he thought why not be the one to solve the problem? 

He had the programming and graphic design skills to create a logo and build a website, initiative to start the league and connections to play. So in January 2012, he launched the KC Crew website and started a league. 

"For the first 6 months, I left my day-job at 5pm every day to ump all the leagues myself. I never thought it would turn into this" he admits. 

At the end of 2012, KC Crew had 1000 players and at the end of 2014, their participants have tripled to almost 3000 players. The league brings revenue to local bars who agree to sponsor specials before and after the game and they also do non-league charity events throughout the year to raise funds and awareness for organizations in the community. And what's so refreshing is the mentality of everything being really fun offering softball leagues, karaoke leagues, beer die leagues and events like Beer Olympics and a zombie End of the World Pub Crawl (which I am sad to say I missed every year). 


KC Crew End of the World Pub Crawl


KC Crew has been so successful that Luke was able to quit his day job and make owning KC Crew his full-time job, along with getting involved in other initiatives that support the community. 

His vision for KC Crew is expansion & rethinking. He's excited to unveil new software that will change the way people organize their teams and make his job easier and less manual on the back-end. He hopes the new technology will allow to him start leagues in North Kansas City, Waldo, the 'burbs and even expand outside of KC. 

I wish the best of luck to Luke and am inspired by his initiative to solve a problem and bring fun/commerce to the KC community in an incredibly fun way. In fact, I can honestly say that some of my best memories of KC were with friends on that softball field playing in a KC Crew league. 


KC Crew Ball So Hard Softball Champs

No comments:

Post a Comment