Saturday, December 6, 2014

CIMA #30before31

Another one to check off the list: Go to an event where you know no one & leave with a contact.

So Thursday afternoon during my back-to-back meetings I got an email from a media rep that is supposed to come in next week for a lunch meeting asking if I s going to the CIMA party that night.

I had never even heard of the event so I quickly consulted Google. $260 for a ticket? Hell no, I thought but politely answered, no. And was promptly offered the ticket.

Should I go? I debated. I have to change & meet the rep & coworkers out for drinks... without knowing what they look like other than a LinkedIn photo. But why not? Worst case, I could leave early and cab it home.

Turns out, I made the right move. I got to meet the rep, got some potential freelance business, inserted my company into the Chicago advertising conversation, was wined & dined and actually ram into several coworkers, colleagues & friends at the event.

Moral of the story is, step out of your comfort zone because #youneverknow

No comments:

Post a Comment