Saturday, May 24, 2014

Burnt Out

My mother once told me, "Megan, you can't always do everything." However, it is hard to take that advice from someone who was guilty of trying to do everything too. 

But, growing up, I was convinced with careful planning, organization and the ability to live on minimal sleep - I could do almost anything - but with a cost of becoming burnt out and not being able to give 100% to everything. But I had FOMO (fear of missing out) before it was a real thing. 

With only a few weeks left of living in Kansas City, I have found myself slipping into old habits - and trying to do everything and see everyone before I leave. Last night, I hit a wall. You need sleep, my body said. 

And I went home and slept for 12 hours straight and when I woke up and made myself breakfast, it didn't even burn! Probably because I wasn't rushing around trying to multi-task and get to the next thing. 



I had considered going out of town with friends but found myself happy to have stayed home and taken the time to run errands, workout and relax. 

I read a great article the other day called, The Science of Improving Your Performance at Almost Anything, that touts leisure as important to being effective in life, "We also shouldn’t forget the importance of leisure. This, in addition to health benefits, makes us more creative."

It's pretty obvious that if your mind is running at 100 miles/hour to keep up with your body, you can't really think and let your thoughts go. 

I still have a lot of things left to do before I leave in the next 2 weeks, but for now I'm excited to enjoy this long weekend of leisure to recharge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment